Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Five Friends

Who will ever be able to explain the bonds of friendship? There we were, five girls from different walks of life, it was as if our souls recognized each other and held fast. Our circle was formed and we needed no one else. We did almost everything together. We biked to school, each waiting for the other; at recess we slurped our cendols and ate our kuih; we read Cry the Beloved Country and dreamed of all the places we would go; we suffered through dance practices and badminton games; we agonized over exams and complained about teachers; we laughed at each other's crushes; we stood on the beach with the wind in our hair and we had no idea where life would take us. We went on our journey, separate from each other, but life has come full circle and here we are back together again.


Abidah Biha (Abby)





Location: Miri, Sarawak
Status: Divorced
Children: Abdul Hafiz, Abdul Khaliq
Education: BA
Profession: Document Controller/Group Records
Mgt & Space Mgt
Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Travelling, some baking, cross-stitching
Misses: My friends from high school (TRS) & the

cendol!
Aims: to get in touch with old friends

Memories: TRS was my first step on a journey of a thousand miles towards my life's destination and often the first step made a lasting impact. I have lived life full circle and I am now trying to get in touch with some friends I missed so much from my younger years as they have helped me shape my decision in life, we have made wonderful memories together. I remember wonderful friends who waited on one another and cycled to school together. I have lost a neighbour, a childhood friend and in particular a wonderful friend through sickness and for that sad event I want to keep in touch with my four wonderful girlfriends as often as I possibly can and am hoping that one day we will meet again, this time at a different phase of our lives. Friends come and go in our lives, but there are some who made a lasting impact and who have a special place in our hearts.




*************************************************************************************




Malihabi Sait Hamat

Location: Kuching, Sarawak
Profession: Teacher - TESL
Education: BA
Married: Abang Patdeli
Children: Iqbal, Irma, Faizulfadi, Syamil, Izzah
Interests: Traveling, Cooking, Baking, Reading
Memories: I feel nostalgic when I remember all the friends from our TRS days and the ones from our primary school days -- Evelyn & Edith from the time when we were six years old, and then Jo and Abidah joined us from St. Patrick's and then TRS.





*************************************************************************************



Evelyn Marie Joseph (Campbell)


Location: USA
Professions: Journalist; Law Librarian
Education: MS; MSLS
Married: John W.
Child: Sarah Christine
Interests: Writing, Reading, Traveling, Genealogy, Baking & Cooking, Sewing; Photography

Memories: It was at TRS that I saw the first glimmers of the endless possibilities of where my life could go. It was the beginning of the dream that took me far from everything I had ever known. I often look back with fondness on those sunny days and breezy afternoons and friends who made life all the better.
Misses: Family, Friends, Cendol & Satay
email: emajcamp@gmail.com




*************************************************************************************



Edith Phoa


Location: Kuching, Sarawak
Profession: Manager
Interests: Reading, gardening, travelling & badminton.
Memories: Remembering the wonderful and happy times at TRS -- cycling to school, eating cendol and waiting for each other rekindles that wonderful friendship of wonderful friends that I have till today.







*************************************************************************************

Hjh Joairidah Hj. Seman


Location: Mukah, Sarawak
Profession: Headmistress SK Penakup Ulu, Mukah
Interests: Cooking, TV, reading, travelling
Memories: I will never forget my "cinta kuyad" or my friends at TRS.











3 comments:

  1. This opens the floodgate of memories of 33 years past! Look at us back then, and how we are now. The innocence was painted all over the faces and look at me...LOL. That older picture was taken from the graduation pic and like you said, why were we so serious, it was as if the camera would crack if we laugh or smile. It was funny but we have stories and wonderful memories behind those pictures and I am so glad that we found each other again. Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end, we sing and dance forever and a day... I just remember the lyrics from an oldie. Our hairs were parted in the middle. Edith, Maliha and Jo with almost the same hairstyle and you and I would be long, yours wavvy and mine, straight. Thank you for making this page and for the wonderful memories of our formative years in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was the most transformed.My colleagues in the office could not believe that was me.Those were the glasses of the 70's and that's the 70's look of us, big rimmed glasses but I still wonder why we never smile before the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, you are looking good there! Amazing at 50+.

    ReplyDelete